G E N E S I S
The Zonal Project Directorate (erstwhile Zonal Coordinating Unit), Zone-II began its journey from the office premises located within the Directorate of Extension Education Complex of B.C.K.V., Mohanpur, Nadia, West Bengal with the specific objective to monitor and evaluate the Lab to Land Programme (LLP), country wide launched in the year 1979 in celebration of the ICAR Golden Jubilee Year and drawing fund support from the Cess Fund of ICAR. Alongside, it was entrusted with the responsibility to monitor and guide the activities of KVKs which were gradually coming up that time with great future promise as District Level First Line Agricultural Institutions. The initial operational jurisdiction of the Unit was spread over West Bengal, Orissa and A&N Islands. However, due to demanding administrative reasons, the state of Bihar was subsequently brought under the fold of Zone-II in the year 1991 in lieu of Orissa, which was then shifted under Zone VII. The jurisdiction of ZPD was further extended to include the newly created state of Jharkhand in the year 2000. After ten years of its operation from B.C.K.V., the office of the then ZPD-II was shifted to Veterinary College Campus, Belgachia, Kolkata for required infrastructural facilities. However, conversion of Veterinary College in to West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences again necessitated the Unit to shift its office to NBSS&LUP Campus, Salt Lake, Kolkata in the year 1996. During those years of instability in office housing, nevertheless, the Unit went on widening its service domains creditably in the form of successful implementation of a score of ICAR supported programmes like Operational Research Project, National Demonstration and All India Coordinated Research Project on Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe. Besides, special projects on Frontline Demonstrations under National Oilseed Production Programme (NOPP) and under National Pulse Production Programme (NPPP) were also carried out. Front Line Demonstrations on Farm Implements and Cotton were also initiated by this Unit in this Zone. Finally, the Zonal Coordinating Unit has been upgraded to Zonal Project Directorate in the pattern of other Project Directorates / Institutes of ICAR including administrative and financial power since 2009.
Function of ZPD: -
- To formulate, implement, guide, monitor and evaluate programmes organized by Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
- To coordinate with State/Central Government Agencies, Credit institutions and any other organization for successful implementation of KVK programmes.
- To serve as feedback centre from the extension projects to research and extension systems.
- To help in implementation of all projects assigned by ICAR.
- To maintain close coordination with ICAR headquarter particularly with Deputy Director General (Agricultural Extension) for preparation of all documents.
- To maintain liaison with ICAR and other relevant Institutes present over the zone and elsewhere as well as all Subject Matter Divisions at headquarters for bettering the overall functional proficiency of KVK system in the zone.
Mandate of KVK : -
The mandate of the KVK includes technology assessment, refinement and demonstration of technology product.
Activities of KVK: -
- On-farm testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Organize Frontline Demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
- Training of farmers to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies.
- Training of extension personnel to orient them in the frontier areas of technology development.
- To work as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technology for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district.